[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0184: Message Delivery Receipts

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Tue Mar 17 16:27:50 UTC 2020

On Dienstag, 3. März 2020 18:45:44 CET Jonas Schäfer wrote:
> The XEP Editor would like to Call for Experience with XEP-0184 before
> presenting it to the Council for advancing it to Final status.
>

> During the Call for Experience, please answer the following questions:
>
> 1. What software has XEP-0184 implemented? Please note that the
> protocol must be implemented in at least two separate codebases (at
> least one of which must be free or open-source software) in order to
> advance from Draft to Final.

aioxmpp defines only the schema to use Delivery Receipts; it does not do
anything special with it. See below.

> 2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as
> defined in XEP-0184? If so, please describe the problems and, if
> possible, suggested solutions.
>
> 3. Is the text of XEP-0184 clear and unambiguous? Are more examples
> needed? Is the conformance language (MAY/SHOULD/MUST) appropriate?
> Have developers found the text confusing at all? Please describe any
> suggestions you have for improving the text.

There are a few ambiguities and issues around '184:

- Are clients allowed to reply receipt requests when fetching messages from
MAM? I think they are, despite the wording in the text (which IMO only
considers the user browsing an archive), but I guess the wording needs
cleaning up.
- When syncing multiple messages from an archive, sending a receipt for each
one is expensive and wasteful. A way to send multiple receipts in a single
message would be appreciated.
- It would be nice if receipts could integrate with MAM better to avoid
fetching all the ACKs.
- I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have MAM reply to receipts on behalf
of the user.

kind regards,
Jonas