[Standards] A Positive Note

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Sun Mar 22 11:40:13 UTC 2020

Hello!

Today is a Sunday. It's normally a quiet day in the National Health Service
in the UK - only emergency cases get dealt with.

Yesterday, however, the service I help run peaked at more messages than
it'd normally see on a weekday - and it'll do the same today. If the growth
curve holds, this week will see more messages than the system had last year.

By messages, I mean XMPP message stanzas.

The technology we've built - and continue to build - here in the XMPP
Standards Foundation is actively being used to save lives. Not a few lives,
either, but hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of lives, not just in the UK
but increasingly in other countries too.

People are also turning to things like Whatsapp, Zoom, Hangouts, and of
course Jitsi - all of which had or still have XMPP at their core. These are
helping both create the physical isolation we need, and also breach the
social isolation that would otherwise result.

So if things feel a little bleak right now, and you feel a need for action,
then just remember - you have already helped make this crisis hurt less
than it would have done without your efforts.

Thank you,

Dave.