[Standards] XEP-0289 FMUC: Do joined nodes know what mode is configured?

Guus der Kinderen guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com
Thu May 7 12:19:21 UTC 2020

I've had some one-on-one conversations which lead me to believe that
expecting the joined FMUC node to echo a stanza back in master-slave mode,
but not in master-master mode, is something that's not adequately covered
in the XEP. Assuming that this indeed is an oversight, I'd like to work
towards a fix. I'll offer a few suggestions:

a) Somehow negotiate the configuration mode between both nodes.
b) Have the joining node include a flag on each stanza it sends to the
joined node that signals whether a callback is desired or not
c) Have the joined node include a flag on a stanza that is echoed back,
indicating that it is an echo (a 'status 110'-like solution).
d) Have the joining node persist each stanza that it sends to the joining
node, allowing it to evaluate each inbound stanza to determine if it's an
echo.

Thoughts?