[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Channel Binding Pseudomechanisms

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Sat May 9 14:58:31 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 07.05.20 18:34, Sam Whited wrote:
> Can we modify the mechanisms feature? Having this be an extension to the
> mechanisms feature seems problematic to me.

Extensibility inside the <mechanisms> element is part of RFC6120. The
schema at https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6120.html#appendix-A.4
explicitly allows for arbitrary elements inside it. Any client, server
or library not allowing unknown elements to be present in <mechanisms>
can therefor be considered RFC non-compliant. Any strict validator that
fails to validate such unknown element inside <mechanisms> is either
broken or fed with an invalid schema.

Marvin