[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Channel Binding Pseudomechanisms

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Tue May 12 17:16:45 UTC 2020

On Dienstag, 5. Mai 2020 21:06:09 CEST Jonas Schäfer wrote:

> Title: Channel Binding Pseudomechanisms
> Abstract:
> A method for advertising and negotiating types of channel binding
> supported by SCRAM based SASL mechanisms.

> The Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this
> proposal as an official XEP.

I’m going to say it here because the minutes aren’t there yet and as a
guidance to the author. I do see the need for this (having implemented Channel
Binding on the client side myself), but:

-1 as is, because it puts non-standard information in the SASL mechanism name,
which does have a proper registry at the IANA [1] for no good reason.

An appropriate fix would be to either have an informational stream feature
(like roster versioning and entity capabilities) or add a separately-
namespaced extension element into the <mechanisms/> SASL stream feature.

I have a slight preference for an extension element inside <mechanisms/> for
ease of processing on the client side, but *that* is not a hill for me to die
on.

kind regards,
Jonas

   [1]: https://www.iana.org/assignments/sasl-mechanisms/sasl-mechanisms.xhtml