[Standards] XEP-0333: meaning of 'acknowledged'

Andrew Nenakhov andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com
Thu May 21 16:31:32 UTC 2020

I've said it again and I'll repeat it: we have a very clear example of
how this feature can work. It's Telegram and their voice messages,
which present a user a special dot if the voice message is unplayed by
the remote side.
Once the remote side plays the voice message (or 'interacts with it'),
the dot disappears. Of course, this would work well only if
acknowledged stanzas are sent for individual messages. Current text of
XEP-0333 suggests that if a remote party acknowledges the last voice
message out of many, all previous should be considered as
acknowledged. This clearly contradicts a very well defined and useful
use-case, so I believe that this part of 0333 should be revised.

чт, 21 мая 2020 г. в 19:45, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com>:

> Hi folks,
>
> XEP-0333 defines the state:
>
> > acknowledged -- the message has been acknowledged by some user interaction e.g. pressing an acknowledgement button.
>
> If a user scrolls down to the bottom of a chat log, we know they are present and looking at the screen. This is user interaction. Should a client send <acknowledged/>?
>
> Regards,
> Matthew

Andrew Nenakhov
CEO, redsolution, OÜ