[Standards] Server status pages
mwild1 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 10:38:34 UTC 2020
On Sat, 23 May 2020, 10:51 Maxime Buquet, <pep at bouah.net> wrote:
> All those who expressed feelings against adding this to 157 at the time
> you sent this didn't mention why.
> I personally don't see much issue with it, so I just PR'd against it to
> add that registry entry.
Just want to add a couple of things that have come up in discussions since
starting this thread:
1) Someone (sorry, don't remember who) had the idea of including this in
- the client doesn't need to discover and cache the value after login, it
can discover it on-demand whenever it has connection issues
- the admin is able to add/update the value while the service is down
- Not all clients may be in a position to query TXT records (web clients,
may require additional dependency in native clients)
- Not necessarily secure without DNSSEC
- Additional work for people who want to delegate a domain for XMPP hosting
by a third party
2) It would be nice if we could optionally provide something
machine-readable that clients can natively display rather than redirecting
to a web browser.
That's all. I'm fine with the 157 proposal if it's the easiest path.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Standards