[Standards] Council Minutes 2020-11-04

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Nov 12 19:28:09 UTC 2020

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 at 02:43, Tedd Sterr <teddsterr at outlook.com> wrote:

> *4b) Proposed XMPP Extension: Pre-Authenticated In-Band Registration* -
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/ibr-token.html
> Georg: +1
> Daniel: [on-list]
> Jonas: [on-list]
> Zash: [on-list]
> Dave: [on-list]
>
> The author, Georg, thanks Dave for his review [1] - Dave still needs to
> think about this, given Sam's comments [2]; Georg think's Sam made a very
> generic point that applies to the whole pre-authenticated phase.

This has various problems which mean that the approach used isn't one I
would like to see in a Standards Track document. Mostly, the unroutable
stanzas prior to authentication that affect session state is the weird bit.

If we had a stream for "Stuff that we'd like to document even though it's
not great", this would be perfect for it (and several other things we've
encountered before).

I don't want to block this entirely, so I'll vote +0, but I'd really like
to move this to a different XEP Type (and maybe we should make one that
fits these sorts of things).

Dave.