[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: File metadata element

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Thu Nov 19 15:38:54 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 19.11.20 15:29, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
> - I do not like the dimensions element carrying two values. I suggest to use
> separate width/height elements. Same motivation as for 1st normal form for
> databases.

Agree. Not sure where I copied that from, but splitting in width/height
definitely makes sense.
Also, might even be worth considering adding something for 3d scene
files, but that's probably future talk for the next few years ;)

> - Did you consider using the `flick` unit for the duration, instead of
> milliseconds? See for example https://github.com/facebookarchive/Flicks

I was originally using seconds, but then decided that seconds are too
low accuracy for properly displaying a slider or progress bar when the
audio/video is just a few seconds. I can't imagine any usecase where
flick accuracy would be needed, but if there are, I'd rather like to
move those in a separate field. The <length/> is mostly for something
that can actually be displayed to normal users, and flick unit accurate
numbers certainly can't, except when rounded to millisecond accuracy or
less ;)

Marvin