[Standards] DOAP files for XMPP implementations

Emmanuel Gil Peyrot linkmauve at linkmauve.fr
Fri Jan 1 21:38:57 UTC 2021

Hello,

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 05:44:37PM +0200, Emmanuel Gil Peyrot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> During the last sprint in Lyon[1] we worked on finishing the DOAP
> proposal I sent to this list two years ago[2].
>
> With now a few clients having written and published a DOAP file, it
> feels like the right time to aggregate them on xmpp.org and start using
> it in our projects.
>
> I have made a pull request[3] towards that, so implementations can start
> advertising their DOAP URL during renewal.  It may become a requirement
> for further renewal at a later point, but this is entirely experimental
> for now.
>
> Comments welcome. :)
>
> [1] https://bouah.net/2019/07/new-sprint-new-goodies/#doap-description-of-a-project
> [2] https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2017-August/033123.html
> [3] https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/pull/594

I have now written a proof of concept[1] of how the integration of our few
DOAP files would look like at xmpp.org, there is a backend which exposes
just the data we need, and a JS script which presents that on the
website, without any additional dependency.

The code is available here[2].  I haven’t tried integrating it with
Pelican yet, but it’s just one script tag to add to a single page, and
for the XEPs another script to add to the XSLT, so that shouldn’t be
much work if we decide to go with it.

Feedback welcome!

[1] https://linkmauve.fr/extensions/
[2] git clone https://git.linkmauve.fr/xmpp-doap.git