[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: DOAP usage in XMPP

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jan 13 19:35:39 UTC 2021

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 at 18:24, Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:

> I'd like to recommend that we do not publish this spec in its current
> form. The XML community has the tendency to over-engineer everything to
> try and reuse schemas as much as possible which just makes things more
> difficult for no reason. This is a handful of simple key/value pairs, it
> doesn't need to use RDF or whatever the "schema" prefix means.
>
> If this spec is moved forward please consider either adding a JSON
> representation since this is mostly for the web and is effectively just
> a set of key-value pairs which probably makes JSON a better format for
> storing it, or a simplified XML representation that can be completely
> defined in this document and exists in a single namespace.

I was under the impression that DOAP was an existing deployed
specification, and that the use of RDF/XML wasn't unexpected.

In particular, it appears that both Mozilla and PyPI seem to use it, so
assuming reuse of existing standards is our thing - and presumably that is
exactly our thing - then use of DOAP seems like the right choice.

Dave.