[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: DOAP usage in XMPP

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Thu Jan 14 16:34:35 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021, at 16:23, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
> Will you also go ahead and rewrite the code which has already been
> written for DOAP integration [1]? Will you also go ahead and port the
> projects which already have DOAP files? Will you also continue to put
> effort in this?

A handful of projects in XMPP land have DOAP files. There is an
implementation for the website which is really nice, but it can't be
that hard to change the XML it uses. Just because there are like 2 uses
of a thing already doesn't mean we should make it the defacto standard.
If that's the case, I have about a dozen random XMPP extensions that we
never should have created new XEPs for, like the original message
attaching which worked differently and was used by HipChat, or the
original channel binding notification stuff that I have implementations
for. It's perfectly fine to make changes to existing technologies before
we put them in XEP form.

This protocol is absolutely not okay, people have been complaining about
the problems with XML for years, and we just keep doing the same stupid
things that will make no one else want to use our protocol.

—Sam