[Standards] XEP-0392: colour vision deficiency adaptation

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 15:49:12 UTC 2021

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 at 16:25, Jonas Schäfer <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:

> Based on these two observations, I would suggest to drop the CVD
> correction
> sections from the XEP (while maybe retaining a note in the accessibility
> considerations, that toolkit- or OS-wide means should be used) completely.
> This would simplify the logic and document altogether significantly.

I agree with this analysis, though I have to state I am not an expert and
if we're in any doubt we should probably ask one.

I think what would be more valuable is (and this may receive some push-back
as a UI recommendation), just make clear that colour should not be the sole
indicator of any information. This alone is more valuable than any
"correction" algorithm. The use of additional assistive technologies should
be optional wherever possible.

Unless there are objections within the next few weeks, I'm going to do just
> that and then ask the Editor to issue a Last Call for the document, given
> that
> it has seen a lot of deployment now.

+1!

Reminder for anyone interested that I put up a quick web page to play
around with the algorithm here:
https://matthewwild.co.uk/projects/xep0392-web/

Regards,
Matthew