[Standards] XEP-0372 references pointing to different elements in same stanza

JC Brand lists at opkode.com
Wed Sep 1 07:57:24 UTC 2021

Hi Jonas

On 31.08.21 17:23, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
> Hi JC,
>
> This has somehow slipped past me.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

> On Freitag, 13. August 2021 14:00:06 CEST JC Brand wrote:
>> So, if you have a stanza with for example, both "subject" and "body"
>> tags, we can have references for both, and use the "anchor" attribute as
>> follows (I hope this comes out formatted properly once sent):
>>
>> <message type="headline" from="school at springfield.city">
>>       <subject id="subject">Attention Bart Simpson</subject>
>> day</body>
>>       <reference anchor="#subject" begin="9" end="21" type="mention"/>
>> </message>
> What about messages with multiple <body/> elements disambiguated by xml:lang?
> Could some conceivably contain a mention while others don't? Does this require
> replicating the mention element all over? Same question for <subject/>.
This is another currently ambiguous and undefined use-case that I think
can be solved with my proposal.
As the XEP currently stands, there's no documented way to distinguish
between multiple <body/> (or <subject/>) elements.

Going with my proposal, the solution would be to have a separate
<reference/> element for each <body/>.
The mention parameters ("begin", "end") will be different for each
place for the different translations.

The "id" attribute can have any value, it doesn't have to be "body" or
"subject", those were just examples.

> Besides that, I don't think that adding an attribute to an element in this way
> is really acceptable.
>
> I would prefer an approach which identifies the XML element without having to
> modify the XML being referenced.
The only mechanism that doesn't require modifying the referenced
elements that I can think of is XPath.

My example then becomes:

<message type="headline" from="school at springfield.city">
      <subject xml:lang="en">Attention Bart Simpson</subject>
      <subject xml:lang="af">Aandag Bart Simpson</subject>
      <reference anchor="/message/subject[@xml:lang='en']" begin="9" end="21" type="mention"/>
      <reference anchor="/message/subject[@xml:lang='af']" begin="6" end="18" type="mention"/>
  </message>

Regards