[Standards] Stable is the new Draft

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Sep 8 12:19:44 UTC 2021

On Tue, 7 Sept 2021 at 16:44, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 8/31/21 9:41 AM, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
>
> > The term "Draft" for our non-Final but also non-Experimental standards
> has
> > been adopted from our "mother" organization, the Internet Engineering
> Task
> > Force. The IETF has since abandoned that term.
>
> In fact, the IETF moved from a three-stage track to a two-stage track:

As many of us noted in the discussion leading up to that, the IETF moved
from a three-stage to a four-stage by increasingly formalizing the
Internet-Draft stage and raising the bar for Proposed Standard, and then
RFC 6410 executed a "Left Shift" to remove the (now largely redundant)
Draft stage.

The IETF still has a three stage track, it's just that the first stage is
Internet-Drafts, which amounts to our Experimental.

A lot of this shift, looking back on it, was driven by the lack of in-situ
updates to documents once they'd hit RFC status, which doesn't affect us.

It's also why I have resisted adding pre-XEP stages...

Dave.