[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0459 (XMPP Compliance Suites 2022)

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 15:45:48 UTC 2021

On Tue, 21 Sept 2021 at 15:24, Tedd Sterr <teddsterr at outlook.com> wrote:

> 4. The original version (XEP-0242/0243) had two simple categories, Core
> and Advanced, and that was all; later versions just continued with that.
> The IM Suite, especially, is becoming quite top-heavy, so adding a middle
> level would be good - but what to call it? Instead of names, how about
> simply Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 - right now that would map Core to
> Level 1 and Advanced to Level 3, then a subset of Level 3 could make up
> Level 2. Note that not all Suites require 3 levels (or even 2 in the case
> of Web). [This also fits nicely with a compliance badge design idea I have.]

I agree with everything you said, but I'm especially in favour of fixing
this one. Part of the goal of these things is to help summarize XMPP
compliance of a piece of software to people who aren't intimate with XMPP.
There is no planet on which describing a piece of software as "Core Core"
makes sense.

I'd be in favour of either switching to "Basic"/"Advanced" (I think "Basic"
was frowned upon originally, which is why it wasn't used), or to numbered
levels as you propose.

Regards,
Matthew