[Standards] FYI: Urgent XEP published: XEP-0464

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Fri Apr 1 06:34:29 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Editor hat on.

This announcement may seem a bit unorthodox, however, the past days, weeks,
months and years have seen a lot of criticism of XMPP. Often times, people
claim that there is a single specific feature missing which other messengers
have and which is absolutely required, otherwise, XMPP will be doomed.

Obviously, we cannot run after each feature such claimed. We need to be
smarter and find the underlying technologies which enable such features. For
this, we need to look no further than the Web.

The web has been a great success. Look at all the things on the web. Matrix
uses web technology and many other popular messengers, proprietary or libre,
closed or federated, are built upon technologies enabled by the web stack,
such as WebSockets, WebRTC, WebASM, WebGL, or WebRCE.

Since XMPP is clearly still stuck in the 90ies, we need to start our catch up
with a 90ies web technology which could not have been more influential.

With this introductory text, the following XEP announcement should make most
sense to everyone:

Version 1.0 of XEP-0464 (Cookies) has been released.

Abstract:
This document defines an XMPP protocol extension for setting and
sending cookies.

Changelog:
Publish initial version via fast track (XEP Editor: jsc). (tjb)

Note: The information in the XEP list at https://xmpp.org/extensions/
is updated by a separate automated process and may be stale at the
time this email is sent. The XEP documents linked herein are up-to-
date.

kind regards,
Jonas Schäfer
XMPP Extensions Editor