[Standards] Small animated video about the "Fediverse" (XMPP inside)

Jehan Pagรจs jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 20:55:12 UTC 2022

Hello XMPP lovers and makers!

Long time no see, since some people might or not remember me from about 10
years ago (or more), when I was still a XSF member and even contributed a
bit to the second RFC round (nostalgy!๐Ÿ’ญ)
Back then I left the world of XMPP RFC and XEP standardization and
development around XMPP to go to new horizons, I was even a bit
disappointed, but it doesn't mean I abandoned my high consideration for the
protocol, the people making it and the XSF. To this day, I still believe it
to be one of the best generic communication protocols.

This is why when we discussed with the Framasoft non-profit to make a video
(since my new horizons are things like making Libre Art, animation films,
then eventually becoming GIMP main developer and maintainer) about the
concept of Fediverse, which Wikipedia basically defines as being federated
networks using standard communication protocols, even though this term was
likely born around ActivityPub-supporting software, I thought XMPP fits the
bill too (actually in the French version of the Wikipedia article on
Fediverse, XMPP is even explicitly mentioned).

This is why you might notice that in our cute little video explaining the
Fediverse, among messages, Mastodon "toots" and Peertube video icons, small
X-s are flying too: https://framatube.org/w/9dRFC6Ya11NCVeYKn8ZhiD

Basically the big picture of this short explicative video is to talk about
and promote the concept of federated networks and standards, why these are
important, and why it matters rather than using proprietary networks'
walled gardens. If "Fediverse" is the new fancy name to describe such
concept to the wider audience โ€” even though this concept has existed for a
long time! โ€” then so be it! The point is not to be highly technical. We are
talking to everyone.

So why I'm sharing this link here is that the video is Libre Art (Creative
Commons by-sa 4.0), because that's what we do. Even the sources will be
available shortly. It's drawn in GIMP, obviously, and animated with Synfig,
all this on Linux. So even the production is using Free Software, the art
is free too, and it talks about communication standards for everyone
(freedom all the way!). Therefore feel free to use it for whatever purpose
like (random thought ๐Ÿ˜‰) promoting XMPP too.

Have fun everyone, and long live XMPP and communication standards! ๐Ÿ˜ธ

Jehan

--
ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net