[Standards] XEP-0156 _xmppconnect is vulnerable to MITM

Travis Burtrum travis at burtrum.org
Wed Feb 9 23:29:59 UTC 2022

Hi all,

The long story short (is outside of DNSSEC) it's impossible to use
_xmppconnect TXT records to securely connect to BOSH or WebSockets.
Every client I've been able to find that supported this is vulnerable to
trivial MITM (Man-In-The-Middle) via DNS spoofing.  If you have a client
that uses it, switch to grabbing host-meta via HTTPS per [RFC-7395]
immediately, maybe grab a CVE if you wish.

I propose we litter [XEP-0156] with warnings explaining why it's
insecure and should never be done, and obsolete it, instead referring
people to the single host-meta method that [RFC-7395] defines, which
provides secure delegation when grabbed over HTTPS.

The long reason it's vulnerable is say you want to connect to
example.org, _xmppconnect tells you to connect to wss://evil.com/xmpp,
when you pass this to your websocket library, 100% of them will validate
that the TLS certificate belongs to evil.com (NOT example.org, this is
the bug) and proceed.  Now you *could maybe* hack your library to
validate example.org instead, but in practice this isn't going to work
because no web servers exist that will let you host evil.com but supply
a certificate valid for example.org, in fact, this was later dubbed
"domain fronting" and banned by google/amazon (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_fronting ).

People unfamiliar with XMPP have asked why this doesn't affect regular
SRV lookups, so that's worth explaining here too. That is because when
you look up records for example.org, even if evil.com is returned, you
validate it returns a certificate valid for example.org, and if it
doesn't, you terminate the connection (and hopefully move to the next
SRV record).

I'll be creating issues for all the clients I've found shortly, and will
follow up with a list.

Thanks,

Travis

[RFC-7395]: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7395#section-4