[Summit] [FOSDEM] Call for Participation in the Jabber/XMPP Devroom at FOSDEM 2013

Emil Ivov emcho at jitsi.org
Thu Dec 13 18:54:30 UTC 2012

Hey all,

We'd like to present the CoBri extension that we recently implemented in
Jitsi and the Jitsi Videobridge:

- - Name of the presenter(s)

Emil Ivov

- - Short bios for the presenter(s)

Emil is the founder and current project lead for the Jitsi project.

- - Session name

Simple Video Bridge Control for Lightweight Video Conferencing with Jitsi

- - Session type (presentation, demonstration, tutorial, lightning talk)

Presentation

- - Session abstract (one or two sentences about the topic)

Video Conferencing is generally a costly and resource consuming affair.
Lately however, increasing bandwidths have driven a shift away from
video mixing and toward RTP translation/relaying. In other words: rather
than mixing it, just send it all over the network. Skype video
conferencing and Google hangouts are both examples of this trend.

Running a bridge that is capable of handling that kind of RTP relaying
can be very inexpensive and one can even do it on most modern
desktops/laptops. The problem with doing it is bandwidth: few Internet
connections would allow streaming video to five or six different
participants in the same time.

The Conference Bridge extension (cobri) allows an XMPP client to export
the RTP relaying part into the cloud, run it as an XMPP component and
control it through a bunch of IQ commands.

This talk is about presenting the "cobri" extension and the sample
implementations in Jitsi and Jitsi Videobridge.

- - Time requested (typically 5 minutes for lightning talks, 15 or 30
minutes for presentations, 50 minutes for tutorials)

30' would be great, 15' would also work.

- - URLs for related projects

https://jitsi.org

On 07.12.12, 01:13, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

https://jitsi.org