[Summit] rough agenda for XMPP Summit 12

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Oct 17 19:36:49 UTC 2012

On 10/17/12 1:24 PM, Jack Moffitt wrote:
>> Folks, here is a rough agenda for XMPP Summit 12 next week in
>> Portland. Please provide feedback, let me know if you want to
>> lead a discussion, speak up if you think other topics are more
>> important, etc.
>
> If there is interest, I'm happy to give a talk/demo on Strophe. I
> recently prepared a live-coding game demo/presentation that shows
> off the basics and is pretty fun. I'd need about 30 minutes and
> some audience participation for the game.

Sounds like fun, and it fits in with the XMPP+Web theme.

> I'd also like to propose a hack night/sprint after the dinner or
> after the end of the conference on Friday.  I think it would be a
> bunch of fun to work on whatever XMPP related projects we had, and
> perhaps several of us old-timers can be available for questions and
> advice, etc.

I like that. I'm still working on arranging dinner, so I'm not 100%
sure whether it will happen on Wednesday night or Thursday night. Are
there krtconf-related events on Wednesday night?

> In particular, I'd like to finish up the XPath support for Strophe
> that Joe Hildebrand and I started a while back. I'd also like to
> play with some new languages and XMPP (Rust and Go might be
> interesting), and the project I have in mind is a websocket proxy
> similar to Punjab for BOSH..

Oh, I'm sure Matthew would like to do some Lua hacking, too. ;-)

> Or we can write a markov-chain bot that will impersonate Peter :)

Nice!

>> We plan to use Google Hangouts for remote participation (hey,
>> it's based on XMPP), so please make sure you can use that if you
>> want to give a presentation or join in from places other than
>> Portland. I am *not* planning to get A/V equipment for the room.
>
> I have a projector that I could bring. Or perhaps the AndYet folks
> could assist us with that as well?

'Twould be super.

>> I'd really like input from folks here about the "TBD" topics.
>> There are things I'd like to talk about, but I want to make sure
>> we cover the topics that XMPP developers and operators think are
>> high priorities.
>
> One idea is a discussion around decentralized social media.

Agreed.

Someone also suggested WebRTC as a topic of interest, unfortunately I
haven't had the cycles to track that as closely as I need to. That
relates to both Jingle and the Web. (And I've been thinking more about
multi-user Jingle of late...)

And of course there are also other topics of perennial interest, like
security, federation, distributed MUC (perhaps Dave Cridland could
give us an update on that), etc.

Peter

- --