[standards-jig] Display options in roster was Hidding groups in Jabber clients

Jean-Louis Seguineau /EXC/TEC jean-louis.seguineau at antepo.com
Thu Aug 1 21:38:58 UTC 2002

Ok, I ear what your saying! Just do it the private way...

Now, let me phrase it differently. Does anybody care about having a standard
way of specifying some simple display options (like hiding) that could be
added to the roster and would be consistent throughout the clients that you
are using. Again, if I start with my full fledged pc client, I can be moving
to use my PDA while in a meeting, or my J2ME phone while on the road.
Leaving everything to the client will not bring the same experience to each
user interface. But one thing is for sure is that every client will
implement a roster list. Wouldn't it be nice to always have the same
behaviour whatever the interface, and always retrieve that look & feel
across enabled client from different maker.

Alternatively, wouldn't it be nice to be able to turn on/off the display of
some items/group without acting on the complete list (i.e. hidding only a
few items in the list)

Lastly, comming back to hiding groups, I don't find it very sound to mix
logic and naming in the existing implementation that have been done in
clients to use "special" names for the sake of implementing "special" client
specific features.

So it boils down to two simple questions:

1/ would the community benefit from having a way to specify display option
for the roster components (items and groups)
2/ if found beneficial, would it be better implemented it in the core
protocole by amending the base jabber:iq:roster or through an extension
mecanism.

Let's here everybody's opinion now :)

Jean-Louis Seguineau