[standards-jig] Invisibility Support in Jabber

Ben Schumacher ben at blahr.com
Fri Aug 9 19:23:06 UTC 2002

Iain-

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Iain Shigeoka wrote:
> I'll violently protest your idea to make you happy.  :)  Bad!

Thank you! Finally, somebody!

> Actually, I recognize the need but would like to suggest that you take a
> look at wireless-village to see how they handle invisibility.  I think their
> basic approach is elegant and has obviously been thought about in terms of
> being a person with multiple online "personalities".  Their use cases
> include things like maintaining presence for work, customers, friends, and
> family and how you'd like to change your presence easily and intelligently
> (e.g. If you're available to work contacts, you're probably unavailable to
> friends).
>
> Perhaps we should be using some of their ideas to modify the basic Jabber
> presence visibility model.

Could you point me to the relevant documentation? While I'm not convinced
radically changing the presence visibility model is necessary at this
point, as I think my suggestion gives us the functionality we want, I'd be
willing to dig into it deeper. I looked around their site, but was unable
to find anything useful.

Thanks,

bs.