[standards-jig] Re: LAST CALL: Service Discovery (JEP-0030)

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Wed Dec 4 22:32:38 UTC 2002

> I don't recall anywhere saying that JID should take a particular form.
> Adding logic inside the JID, is bound to lead to scalability issues soon. It
> will also loose any attempt at universality of the protocol.

This is implementation specific. The JID isn't required to take a
particular form - its up to the application to determine how a JID is
interpereted.

> As Alexey rightly pointed out, it only works because your specific server do
> not use this resources in another cases.  But who ever dictate that JID
> resource must be used in a specific way ? Who ever imposed that service JID
> do not hold a node name and only a domain name. This is just because short
> cuts have been taken by certain developper. Once again, we are facing the
> interpretation of the protocol for a specific server implementation.

How a JID is interpreted is up to the application. For a router, it only
makes sense to consider the domain part of a JID. For delivering a
message to an offline user, it makes sense to ignore the resource. These
semantics are left to the implementation, and rightly so.

There's nothing to say that a "service" (whatever that means) cannot be
a node+domain - one could argue that ChatBot or a conference room is
such a service. All forms of JID are equal under disco.

> IMHO one proper way to tackle this kind of issue would be to use parameters,
> which are valid for JID, in the query part of the JID (you know what is
> after the ? mark). As a reference, this is what SIP is using in many cases,
> and I tend to believe this is one good way to extend the JID capabilities
> without being bound to a particular implementation or interpretation.

I'm not sure I understand the requirements for such options. Can you
please offer some examples?

Rob.