[standards-jig] Re: [Foundation] streamlining the JIGs

dave at dave.tj dave at dave.tj
Mon Feb 25 21:16:19 UTC 2002

That's way too much formalization at this point, if you ask me.  Save the
email, though, since it'll be quite useful once Jabber really gets off
the ground.  It's just that the current situation (minus most of the JIGs,
which apparently aren't doing much) seems to be working well, while our
attempt at organization (the JIGs) doesn't.  Time constraints are also
a major problem still, so having the ability to pester team leaders
may encourage team leaders to pester their team members, which in turn
encourages them to rush - and anybody who's seen the ANSI C++ standard
knows what happens when people get antsy about finishing up quickly.
If the first JEPs (which will become more-or-less de facto standards by
the time Jabber gets off the ground) are flawed because they were rushed,
we'll have many fundamental problems that'll come back and bite us later,
and there won't be a thing we'll be able to do about them, since the JEPs
will be quite entrenched by the time we notice the problems.  Having 100%
ad-hoc group formation/destruction means the individual team members have
the ability to decide for themselves whether they believe their groups
to be dead, and to vote with their feet (i.e., leave the group mailing
list, or at least quit posting to it).  Having less organization also
makes it a lot easier for a team to disband because of a realization
that no useful JEP is likely to result, rather than being pressured to
produce or disband.

...just my pair of pennies,
Dave Cohen <dave at dave.tj>