[standards-jig] NEW: XMPP/Jabber MIME Type (JEP-0081)

Joe Hildebrand JHildebrand at jabber.com
Tue Apr 22 15:18:52 UTC 2003

Just as a note, the main reason for this approach was to solve a single-sign
on problem we were having.  That section got inadvertently elided from the
draft that stpeter just released.

The idea is this:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<xmpp>
  <connect>
	<host>example.com</host>
	<ip>10.0.0.1</ip>
	<port>5223</port>
	<ssl/>
	<auth>
		<username>foo</username>
		<password>SomeOneTimeKey</password>
		<resource>Work</resource>
	</auth>
  </connect>
</xmpp>

(actually, the auth tag will specify that the client should transmit all of
the contents of the auth tag in the <iq type='set'><query
xmlns='jabber:iq:auth'/></iq>, so that our actual single sign-on protocol
will work.)

This is something that just wouldn't work as a URI.  The rest of the things
in the JEP were side-effects that we realized could be tacked on "for free".
:)

We're probably going to have to deal with the IETF's im: URI scheme, as
well, for the simpler stuff.  See
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-impp-cpim-03.txt, Appendix C.