[standards-jig] gateway handling of legacy contact lists

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Tue Dec 16 01:05:53 UTC 2003

Hi Paul!

Paul Curtis schrieb am 2003-12-13 09:27:50:
> Currently, sending the subscribed packets is the only reliable method.
> The servers should drop these packets, and in the future, I suspect
> they will. For now, it's the only thing we can do.

It is not reliable, as these "wrong" presence packets are already
dropped by jabberd2 and I am not sure how all the other servers, that
already exist, handle this.
I think one thing we have to learn even more with XMPP getting an
official standard is, that there are not just multiple clients, but
multiple server implementations as well.

> The syncing of rosters between legacy and jabber systems should be
> handled by the transport as much as possible. That was why I commented
> on Joe's suggestion of the transport keeping the last know list of
> legacy contacts.

To say that transports should handle this in cooperation with the servers, as
this does not require to change all the clients out there is wrong. We
already have different server implementations too.
Handling this between the transport and the client gives the client much
more power in defining its way how to handle contacts on other IM
networks while still making it possible to handle them as normal Jabber
contacts. If a user does not like the way its client is handling the
import he may change the client, but he cannot change the server
software.

Maybe it can be handled in cooperation of all three entities, the
transport, the server and the client. But I don't think that the server
and transport should change anything on the roster without explicit
permission of the user and his client.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--