[standards-jig] JEPs and Jabber Adoption

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Sat Jun 28 21:55:16 UTC 2003

I've been thinking a little more about this, and the more I do, the
more I think that the JSF and Jabber Council were not meant to have
this effect on the Jabber community. I'm seriously starting to think an
anarchic "linux-style" approach without a Jabber Council would have
brought a lot more enhancments with a lot less effort.

In fact, if we look at the JEP-list on jabber.org we still see most
enhancements that re widely used are informational JEPs, either
released at the time or document lately by PSA. Opposed to that we have
a shipload of standardstrack JEPs stuck in experimental.

I know there's gonna be a lot of arguments about how interoperatability
will become impossible if we have competing standards and the like, but
that neither impresses or scares me much. For example, I find the
suggestion that we wouldn't have a widely implemented *and*
interoperatable filetranfer mechanism by now with a less restricive
model.. well.. laughable. The opensource community is a lot more
selforganising then some think.

I really do wish that a few years ago some client author would have
just made a decent filetransfer protocol to complement the HTTP based
one and implemented it. We'd all be sending files now to each other
(and god knows what more we'd be doing) and maybe PSA would have made a
nice informal JEP about it now.

I'm not suggesting we simply abandon the council, but there should be
ways to improve the way we're working here. Ofcourse, it could be just
me that feels frustrated.

--
Tijl Houtbeckers
Software Engineer @ Splendo