[standards-jig] Re: [Foundation] Motion for last call on JEP-0071 (XHTML-IM)

Alexey Shchepin alexey at sevcom.net
Fri Sep 12 20:02:45 UTC 2003

Hello, Jacek!

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:32:30 +0200, you said:

 RN> I move that a Last Call should be issued for JEP-0071 (XHTML-IM).
 RN> Seconds?
 >> It need to reduce some requirements to allow support for console clients
 >> (e.g. current version requires support for font-family and font-size
 >> attributes).
 JK> And what is the problem? Doesn't support mean "recognize and try your best
 JK> to make it look like it should"?

As far as I understand, this is true for logical elements/attributes, but
physical elements/attributes defines how to process them explicitly.  In
JEP-0071 all elements are logical, but style attributes are physical.

 JK> If not, then how should speech-synthetizer pronounce bold text?

It can process <strong/> element by pronouncing text strongly, but IMHO it
should not process <span style='font-weight: bold'/> -- there are no meaning of
"font weight" in speech.

Actually this is interesting question "is this XHTML implementation is
compliant", and it seems there are no normative rules to find answer.  Any
HTML-experts can give comments on this?