[Standards-JIG] Reason for subscription/unsubscription

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Fri Jun 18 06:30:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 05:22:58PM +0200, CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN wrote:
> > Why would one want a subscription/unsubscription reason for?
>
> Maybe to explain who you really are, because a JID is not enough,
> especially if you have thousands of registered users with joe111-like
> usernames ... I have personnally several times denied subscriptions to
> relatives because I did'nt recognize them.

They could send you a <message/> describing who they are, or use other
means to tell you they will try to subscribe to your presence.

E.g.:

<message from="unknown person" to="you">
</message>
<presence type="subscribe" from="unknown person" to="you"/>

This is unusable for spammers to "workaround" message from unknown
source blocking.

If you don't want messages from unknown people then you probably don't
want to receive presece "reasons" containing messages for you. And
presence reasons _will_ be used to "workaround" message blocking i they
are available.

Greets,
	Jacek