[Standards-JIG] Reason for subscription/unsubscription

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Wed Jun 23 06:18:27 UTC 2004

David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:

>Sending a separate <message/> to specify the reason for a subscription
>request physically separates the subscription request from its reason
>without any general way for a client on the other end to reconstruct
>the logical connection between the two.  That's Just Plain Bad (TM) :-(

You seem to have a good rationale behind subscription request reasons.
Could You please explain it to me. Perhaps providing a usage pattern?

I simply do not see any usage for the reason.
The only people I allow to see my presence is the people I know.
And I get to know them while exchanging <message>s.

And I think there is no need for logical connection between messages and
subscription request, becouse there simply is no connection between them.
You use messages to exchange information.
And You use presence, to observe someones presence.
There is no connection beetween them.
The need to observe someones presence comes from your own, personal
need, not any message.

If I even get the subscription request a week after a last conversation
I really know if I do want one to be able to observe my presence or not.