[Standards-JIG] PubSub Whiteboard

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Wed Jun 30 13:17:21 UTC 2004

Nolan Eakins wrote:
> Basically I see no need for whiteboarding over PubSub. Unless of
> course MUC is going to be changed so it runs on top of PubSub, but
> I see no need for that either even though MUC is an extremely
> basic publish-subscribe service.
	As you said: "MUC is an extremely basic publish-subscribe service."
The key is "extremely basic." You should also have added
"application-specific" in that MUC only incorporates those elements of a
publish/subscribe service that are specifically required for MUC.
	For some whiteboard requirements, you need more and different things
than can be squeezed into MUC and, if you try to extend MUC to handle what
whiteboarding needs but MUC doesn't, what you're doing is moving MUC towards
being a full pubsub protocol. When creating a new Jabber/XMPP based protocol
or application that requires publish/subscribe services, the correct and
logical starting point is JEP-0060 -- which is probably what MUC would have
done if JEP-0060 had existed before MUC was defined.
	MUC should be used for MUC and only MUC. It should not be used as a
"poor man's pubsub", nor should it be pushed to become a more general
publish/subscribe service in the future. Note: The same can be said about
Presence... There is little to Presence other than a stripped down pubsub
system.
	I think that if the pubsub protocol had existed before MUC and
Presence, neither of them would have been created as distinct protocols --
they would just be profiles on JEP-0060. But, that is hindsight...

		bob wyman