[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML further simplification

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 11:28:56 UTC 2004

Peter wrote:
> I think it's simpler to use <div/> for such blocks, so I'd favor
> including <div/> in our profile.

It is slightly easier to generate the XHTML if we allow nested blocks (and
the XHTML is slightly more elegant).

However <div/> elements are not necessary, and, most importantly, allowing
them will make it _significantly_ more difficult to develop rendering code
(or even a validator).

> nesting of elements is not recommended except within <div/> elements

IMHO it is important not to recommend <div/> elements (or nested blocks)
_before_ people start implementing the draft. If we discourage them only
later, then
clients developed to the draft standard will be generating XHTML
that is incompatible with the final recommended XHTML-IM.

This change would also encourage developers who are not able to use an
existing renderer to implement the standard.

- Ian

Very sorry this message comes only after the JEP became a draft. (The
corporate firewall I was working behind prevented me from posting to this
list earlier this week.)