[Standards-JIG] JEP-0134 (Protocol Design Guidelines): Does it warn against "Atom over XMPP"?

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Sun Oct 24 02:02:56 UTC 2004

JEP-134 says at section 2.5 "Know your strengths":
> the average size of an XMPP stanza is probably on the order of
> 200 bytes, and in general the largest effective size for stanzas
> is perhaps ten times that large; although stanzas can be much
> larger than that, normally it is not wise to consistently generate
> larger stanzas
	JEP-0134 seems to state that "Atom over XMPP" would constitute an
"unwise" application of XMPP since "Atom over XMPP" would often result in
the generation of stanzas larger than "the largest effective size for
stanzas" (i.e. 2000(10x200) bytes.)
	Given that the author of JEP-0134, Peter Saint-Andre, is also an
author of draft-saintandre-atompub-notify-01, I find the JEP-0134 text to be
somewhat confusing... Perhaps it would be useful to say something in the
JEP-0134 text about those "abnormal" conditions under which it might be
considered to be not unwise to generate large stanzas such as those which
will be typical of "Atom over XMPP"...
	My expectation is that "Atom over XMPP" and similar uses of JEP-0060
will soon grow to become at least the second most popular use of XMPP --
with IM remaining the most common use for some time. If XMPP is the wrong
protocol for use by these applications, it would be good to make that clear
as soon as possible.

		bob wyman