[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML further simplification

Trejkaz Xaoza trejkaz at xaoza.net
Tue Sep 21 22:00:26 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:33, Ian Paterson wrote:
> discussion:</p>
>   <ol style='padding-left: 5%'>
>     <li>Remove whitespace preservation</li>
>     <li>Use &#160; for non-breaking spaces</li>
>     <li>Height and width RECOMMENDED for images</li>
>   </ol>

That brings up an interesting thought.  Suppose I wanted a thick red line down
the left of the quote.  Does adding "border: 2px solid red;" to the above
styles ensure that the border won't break between the <p/> and the <ol/>?  If
so, then good, we don't need <div/>.  If not, then we need <div/>.

There is a certain amount of cleanliness to using <div/> for quoting too, as
it means you don't need to mangle the person's original message to create the
quoted block.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at xaoza.net>