[Standards-JIG] File sharing JEP

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Fri Apr 7 22:45:50 UTC 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 13:42, Michal Vaner (Vorner) wrote:
> Dne pátek 07 duben 2006 18:34 Peter Saint-Andre napsal(a):
> > 2. We never figured out a good way to do anything but file transfer
> > (such as voice and video) using SI. Or at least I never figured it out.
>
> The SI is slow, because it is always relayed, therefore it was not OK for
> it.

Not true.  JEP-0065 can transfer p2p.

As for a way to do SI for voip, I keep bringing this up:
  http://delta.affinix.com/specs/jep-rtsp.html
  http://delta.affinix.com/specs/jep-media.html

And I think everyone can appreciate how ridiculously simple jep-media is.

Problems compared to Jingle:
  1) No STUN.  Although that's not a reason to avoid SI.
  2) Can't do advanced telephone-related things (emphasis on "advanced").

#1 is easily resolvable..  just add STUN to JEP-65.  #2 I've never cared about
at all.

But anyway, Jingle seems to want to replace SIP, so #2 is a legitimate
concern.  I guess we won't be using my approach. :)

> > 4. It's possible we could define a Jingle transport method for SOCKS5
> > bytestreams, thus re-using JEP-0065 (though I haven't worked out the
> > details yet).

I don't think a JEP-65 transport for Jingle would buy us very much.  It might
help as a technical/political transition to getting rid of SI, but what about
user-visible improvements?  I guess the question is: what can a Jingle
negotiation bring to File Transfer that SI cannot?

Of more practical use would be an ICE transport for SI.

-Justin