"presenceability" (was Re: [Standards-JIG] PubSubleased subscriptions)

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Tue Feb 7 17:01:23 UTC 2006

Nolan Eakins wrote:
> What I suggested was that you would send a presence to a pub/sub
> service, and it would include a list of nodes that you are
> subscribed to.
	You can accomplish the same thing by simply querying the pubsub
service for your affliations. What benefit do you get by using presence
instead?
	Also, note that a "list of nodes that you are subscribed to" is not
sufficient information to be useful in all cases. What you need is a list of
subscriptions not a list of nodes subscribed to. It is possible to be
subscribed to a single node multiple times with each subscription having
different subscription options.

This is what we've been supporting at PubSub.com for quite some time now.
See: http://www.pubsub.com/docs/pubsub_xmpp_draft.html for more info.

C: <iq type="get"
       from="sample_at_pubsub_dot_com at xmpp.pubsub.com"
       to='xmpp.pubsub.com"