[Standards-JIG] RE: Jingle: DTMF

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 18:31:44 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, Simon Guindon <simon.guindon at tomahawk.ca> wrote:

> The only problem I see here is, since I am told SIP has multiple methods
> for DTMF it may be a good option to solidify what we choose for this or
> else you end up with perhaps what Matt is saying where your now forcing
> clients/gateways to support both because you never know what to expect.
> Perhaps this is where RFC2833 comes into play?

  Due to multiple methods, this is why I was saying that non-audio/video
capabilities should be part of it's own featureset.  One for transmitting
over XMPP in the case of really, really dumb clients.  One that says 'I can
do 2833!', one that says 'I can do IAX!'.  This way, future clients can
interoperate, but can extend their capabilities without leaving the Jingle
spec.

  Thomas