[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0077: In-Band Registration

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jul 17 19:04:25 UTC 2006

Piotr Szturmaj wrote:

> Comparing to existing approach we increase the security much.

RFC 3920 says we use SASL, which includes mechanisms such as Kerberos,
DIGEST-MD5, and mutual authentication using X.509 certificates, etc. In
general we are pushing people to use those methods rather than trying to
upgrade the old methods documented in JEP-0078. If Kerberos, DIGEST-MD5,
and X.509 are not secure enough for you, I suggest that you may have a
future in IETF protocol development. ;-)

Jabber Software Foundation