Carlo v. Loesch CvL at mail.symlynX.com
Thu Jun 1 13:21:41 UTC 2006

Dave Cridland typeth:
| Is this based on page hits?

Based on irony.

| I think people would be more immediately interested in reducing
| either octet count or packet count. I doubt stanza count is an
| important metric for scalability. Packet count is basically reduced

It's the statistics I was given so far, and I find them
already convincing, but if you want harder facts, we could
gently ask Matthias to sit down and count how many octets
those redundant presence stanzas sum up to.

| Your first proposal did the first, but at the risk of privacy, and
| your second is simply a representational change - it'll work, to a
| degree, but I think overall the gains will be small post-compression,
| if they exist at all.

Yes we know what you think of ~50% less stanza packets.
Everyone has his beliefs, you believe in the blessings of compression.
We're not ignoring it, but so far noone found the time to draw up
a protocol scenario with 50 people on the other side of the line.

Version A with 5 presence changes "broadcast" to those 50 people.

Version B with 4 presence changes after one "broadcast" to 50 people.

Then see what compression algorythms make of that.