[Standards-JIG] Closing idle streams

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Jun 2 16:23:19 UTC 2006

On Fri Jun  2 16:28:23 2006, Brian Raymond wrote:
> If I write to a socket and the peer has closed it in the meantime
> I'll get a
> TCP RST. If the system is using a "stealth" mode of some sort that
> just
> swallows packets without a RST I still won't get an ACK from the
> far side
> acknowledging delivery.

Did you miss getting an RST, or miss getting an ACK? Did the data get
there, or not? Does your firewall block outgoing TCP traffic that
doesn't match a known connection, or only inbound traffic? So many
questions, so few answers.

>  In any case it does boil up to the application, how
> it boils up is somewhat dependent on the implementation in the OS
> and the
> language used (java, C, etc.).

So, assuming C and a standard sockets interface, where do I see what
data has been acked? I was sure there was somewhere myself, but I
can't find it on Linux, at least, where I thought it'd be easy to
find. (I was looking for the current window size, or anything like
it).

Not that this helps the killed socket issue, of course.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/