[Standards-JIG] Presence to all user resources

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Sat Oct 7 18:45:27 UTC 2006

Let's say I'm logged in as:

user at server/one

user at server/two

user at server/three

This means if that "user at server/one" announces
rule in XMPP Section 5.1.1:

>In addition, the user's server MUST broadcast initial

>presence from the user's new available resource to

>any of the user's existing available resources (if any).

I think here that "any of the user's" needs to be changed to "all of the
user's". I know it seems like a nit, but the way it's worded, I would be
correct in sending the presence to just one of the resources, rather
than both. If the change is made to "all users', does that include the
user who is broadcasting initial presence. I'm on the fence: On the one
hand, it makes the life of a client developer a little bit easier, but
on the other hand, it's a pretty lazy client developer who can't deal
with that.

This issue shows up again in 5.1.2: Presence Broadcasts.

I had always been of the opinion that if user at server/one changes his
presence, that the server needs to propagate that to all of that users
resources. Section 5.1.2 doesn't say that anywhere though. I know
clients are expecting this, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Now that
we're amending the xmpp drafts, it seems like a good time to do this. I
would the following into 5.1.2:

--

Chris Mullins

http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins
<http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins?utm_source=Email%2BDistribution
&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Email%2Bfrom%2BChris%2BMullins&utm_campaig
n=Organic>