[Standards-JIG] email best practices JEP

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri Sep 22 11:33:43 UTC 2006

IMHO XMPP's extensibility will give IM a better chance to fight SPAM
wars than email has had. That is just one reason why, IMHO, most people
will benefit once XMPP eventually replaces the email messaging protocols.

IMHO, for that to happen then XMPP IM clients will *at first* need to
integrate fully-featured SMTP (and POP or IMAP) functionality. This step
will be necessary to persuade users to give up their email clients
sooner rather than later (benefits include single inbox and address
book). These integrated clients will always prefer to send messages via
XMPP when possible, so the email protocols should be used less and less.

IMHO we should be actively encouraging email gateway developers (simple
clients). If enough other people agree, then perhaps Peter can be
persuaded to author a strategic new "best practices" JEP that describes
fully-featured client and email gateway interaction?

The new JEP could probably tie together JEP-0100 "Gateway Interaction",
JEP-0033 "Extended Stanza Addressing", JEP-0131 "SHIM" and JEP-0096
"File Transfer" (for large email attachments). I guess it might also
need some email-specific use cases and perhaps even some new protocol
elements?

What do you think?

- Ian