[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Component Connections

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Aug 2 20:58:07 UTC 2007

Someone wrote to me off-list as follows but I'm replying on-list...

>> Abstract: This document specifies a standards-track XMPP protocol
>> extension that enables server components to connect to XMPP servers.
>
> Any reason why "jabber:client" (instead of "jabber:server") has been
> choosen as the default namespace?

People wanted to use one of the existing namespaces. I personally don't
have much of a preference between jabber:client and jabber:server here.
The pro for jabber:client is that you use only one TCP connection, but I
don't think that buys us much here.

> It is not defined in the current XEP, but I expect that the from
> attribute has to be present on any stanza sent by the component. This
> behaviour matches the requirements for jabber:server. In jabber:client
> the from attribute is optional.

Right. That seems like a good reason to use jabber:server.

https://stpeter.im/