[Standards] MUC rooms on roster.

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 19:02:38 UTC 2007

On Aug 10, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Joe Hildebrand wrote:
>> 1) A new MUC role which effectively the opposite of visitor.  Of
>> course,
>> on the bar napkin, this got written as "rotisiv". :)  A rotisiv can
>> potentially speak (broadcasting to all of the members of the
>> room), but
>> can't see any of the messages that are broadcast to the room.  As
>> well,
>> rotisivs get presence from all of the participants and moderators
>> of the
>> room, but nobody receives the rotisiv's presence from the room.
>> Obviously, an implementation might want ACLs to specify who can be a
>> rotisiv for a given room.
>
> I'm not sure why you wouldn't want visitors to receive messages,
> perhaps
> I'm missing something. I can understand why the room admins would not
> want to broadcast presence from visitors in a moderated room, but
> that's
> why we have the muc#roomconfig_presencebroadcast option.

The use case is:

- I'm not in the marketing group, but I'm rotisiv'ing it to see when
any of them arrive at the office
- I broadcast a message to the marketing group, asking for the new
slide deck template, so that whoever is available can help me
- You rotisiv the marketing group, you shouldn't see my presence
through the group, since I'm not a member
- You broadcast a message to the marketing group; I shouldn't see it,
because it's none of my business