[Standards] rfc3921bis: self-presence

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Wed Aug 29 18:45:27 UTC 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Remko Tronçon wrote:

>> Maybe the server could only send a client's presence back to him
>> if it
>> has changed since the server last sent it?
>
> I don't get the point. Why complicate things if the current behavior
> (i.e. send presence back to all resources, no exception) is easier for
> both the server *and* the client?

Because that is not, unfortunately, the current behavior.  (Worse,
there is no strictly defined present behavior.)

The XMPP bis presently suggests servers should NOT do this.  And in
line with that, some servers (including some very large, widely used
ones) will not send you presence subscriptions if you are on your own
roster.  But some will.

So the situation right now is that you /do/ need the special case
code in order to allow people to put their JID on their own roster
under all cases, even though you do not need the code in /every/ case.