[Standards] Loopback Authentication

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Thu Feb 1 16:48:14 UTC 2007

Hi Peter!

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
> Maybe XEP-0178 needs to be clearly labelled as "Best Practices for Use
> of SASL EXTERNAL with Certificates"?
+1

 > I realize there are other ways to
> use SASL EXTERNAL, but they are not familiar to me (IPSec etc.).

IPsec is often mentioned as another example for EXTERNAL, yes. IPsec can
be used to get the identity of a host. There might be also Radius in
case of a server for dial-up users or a server in a typical PLMN. Or a
server might use identd on a trusted network, e.g. in a company or on a
campus. And others ...

Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56