[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: STUN Server Discovery forJingle

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 14:35:59 UTC 2007

Matt Tucker wrote:
> I actually think getting server updates for new STUN lists is total
> overkill. Would anyone other than Google ever use this? :) I suppose we
> could have the simple IQ plus optional PEP for those services/clients
> that actually need updates?

I think the server pushing IQs to us to update values is very simple
from a client perspective, so given the potential relay use case I think
"total overkill" is a bit strong. It's got good parallels to how stuff
like rosters work too. As an example, in Telepathy we support
google:jingleinfo, and allowing our variables to be updated on the fly
versus just once at connection equates to 3 lines of code, one to allow
type="set" as well as type="result", and two to call the IQ ack function
if it was a set.

> -Matt

Regards,
Rob