[Standards] STUN discovery redux

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu May 10 19:00:01 UTC 2007

OK, we need to get this STUN discovery stuff figured out.

The original proposal was to use IQs, basically what Google does with
their jingleinfo namespace.

Then Chris Mullins suggested that we use pubsub. We pursued that for a
while but it turns out that the credentials you need at a STUN server
are individualized (cf. rfc3489bis), so the XMPP server can't provide
the same credentials to all users via a pubsub notification.

Then we looked at generalizing things to define a service request
protocol that can be used to query your XMPP server for any service it
might know about that matches a certain kind of disco identity. While
that's interesting, I think it's a bit early to look beyond the STUN
case to a generalized mechanism.

So I'm going to return to IQs in the next version of the proposal, but
add in the credential stuff.

XMPP Standards Foundation