[Standards] JID Matching (was: Re: XEP-136 and XEP-59 implementation comments)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sat Apr 5 03:57:14 UTC 2008

This applies to MUC, privacy lists, and message archiving, so I'm
changing the subject...

Alexander Tsvyashchenko wrote:

> Peter,

Yes, that seems most logical to me. Unfortunately, it may be too late
for the most logical approach.

>>> Yes, probably, but that would break current behavior for sure, while the
>>> original approach seems to be less dangerous in this respect ... If
>>> backward compatibility is not a problem, though, I personally would be
>>> happy with either way of doing it.
>>
>> Well, hmm, breaking backward-compatibility is not good, eh?
>
> Yes, but don't forget that my original proposal was the opposite variant
> ;-)
> (which, hopefully, should not cause serious problems with backward
> compatibility, but as Tomasz and you pointed out may be
> counter-intuitive for someone)
>
> I suppose that for XEP-136 backward compatibility is not a problem -
> it's MUC where most likely it is.
>
> ... and we still have another option: attribute 'exactMatch', which is
> certainly backward-compatible ...

The more I think about it, the more I realize that adding a boolean
'exactMatch' attribute may be the best approach.

https://stpeter.im/